Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Everyone must be IncludED!

Anyone who knows me, knows how important it is to me that all students see themselves in a classroom or library book collection.  It is for this reason that I was delighted when The Core Collaborative asked me to contribute a monthly post to their blog as part of their IncludED initiative.  I hope to provide literature selections that teachers and librarians can use to help guarantee inclusion and equity for all!

Here are links to my first three posts.









CAREFULLY TAUGHT

I am thankful for the opportunity to share my thoughts about, and passion for, connecting kids with books that help them see themselves and better understand others.  Kindness, empathy and acceptance must be taught and modeled to ensure that all kids are includED!

2 comments:

  1. What a sad story! Those kiddos are definitely being carefully taught (at a minimum) to be exclusive and not empathetic and likely fear of the unfamiliar and hatred. Some wonderful books w/LGBTQ+ characters - When Aidan Became a Brother by Kyle Lukoff; A High Five for Glenn Burke by Phil Bildner (just finishing this one) ; The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore and The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane by Kate O'Shaughnessy.

    ReplyDelete