Monday, September 8, 2014

What a Difference a Year Makes!

Can I just say?...What a difference a year makes!

Today was the first day that I saw students in my library.  Yes, we started school last week, but I didn't see students because I had the privilege of helping the two new teacher-librarians in my district get their libraries up and running.  Imagine that...me helping new librarians AND actually knowing what I'm talking about! What a difference a year makes!

Students came into the library at their scheduled times...sat where they knew they were supposed to sit and immediately started raising their hands (some frantically) to share with me what they had read this summer! What a difference a year makes!

When I shared some of the many new books that are going to be in the library this fall, the students could not wait to see them.  When I held up Mark Pett's The Girl and the Bicycle, I heard, "Oooh, just like The Boy and the Airplane!  When I shared Greg Pizzoli's Number One Sam, someone asked "Is the crocodile in this one too?"  When I shared Bob Staake's My Pet Book, one of my most quiet students whispered, "Bluebird"!  What a difference a year makes!

When I shared Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord, one student turned to another and said, "I hope it's as good as Rules.  When I shared book six in Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet series, book three in Ben Hatke's Zita the Spacegirl series, and Emperor Pickletine Rides the Bus from Tom Angleberger's Origami Yoda series, students literally cheered!  What a difference a year makes!

Wow!  What a difference a year makes...and what an awesome year it was!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment